At Britannia, our aims in music education are to:
- Stimulate subject-specific and cross-curricular learning, through participation and engagement in vocal, instrumental and creative activities
- Encourage all pupils to enjoy making music, individually, in small groups or as a whole class, in lessons, assemblies and public events
- Give Music a high profile and cultivate a love of music, an excitement for the subject and enjoyment of all musical activities
- Satisfy the requirements of National Curriculum
- Provide the children at this school with the potential to continue and succeed in the subject at their next school, and to work towards qualifications
Our music curriculum follows a clear progression of skills through our Curriculum Concepts. Most of the music work carried out by the pupils at Britannia will be practical and will fall into the following categories: vocal studies (singing, chanting, call and response), percussion work (instruments of indefinite pitch), tuned percussion work and keyboard skills.